AN UPDATE FROM THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
As we approach the end of this fiscal year, we want to share with you some of our accomplishments as we join together to battle food insecurity in Chowan County.
Some of our day-to-day accomplishments include:
- Providing three to five days of food to 796 individuals each month
- Providing Book Bag Buddies weekend meals to 161 children each week during the school year
- Providing supplemental food assistance to 226 children each week during the summer months
- Distributing additional food to 180 senior adults each month, working with the Food Bank of the Albemarle
- Providing emergency food assistance to ten families each month
It is a humbling experience to be a part in this undertaking. From January 2017 through October 2019, the number of individuals fed through our regular low-income assistance program has increased 21%. And as of September, we assumed full fiscal responsibility for the Book Bag Buddies weekend meals we provide to students attending Edenton Chowan Public Schools.
It takes about $12,500 and 100 volunteers a month to bring these five programs to reality. We are fortunate to have 22 Contributing Churches, a handful of Supportive Sponsors, and a multitude of Dedicated Donors without whom we could not operate.
While the names at the bottom of this page may be new to you, our vision of creating hope by reducing food insecurity in Chowan County remains the same. Despite our leadership, none of this would be possible without the compassionate community that surrounds us.
Thank you for your generous and ongoing support.
Larry Ekberg, Board President
Joe Rizzo, Executive Director